Thursday, October 4, 2007

Introduction

A bit about me:

I'm a 21 year old server (waitress) living in Southern California. I live on my own and also go to school full time. I'm a Latin American Studies major with an ultimate goal of a PhD in Cultural Anthropology. While I'm considerably thriftier than other kids my age, I want to start saving so that I have a comfortable padding in case of any emergencies. Furthermore, I want to learn about 401ks, mutual funds, and get involved NOW. The key to life is preventive maintenance. I don't want to wait until I'm thirtysomething to start saving for retirement (the same goes for preventive care regarding wrinkles).


With all these things said, I started on the first of this month a list of all my expenses. I will post it first thing in the morning. I plan on tracking my normal spending habits for a few weeks if not a month, and then figuring out a budget and how to save. I'll also be chronicling my net worth, how I save money, articles and all those other pertinent bits.

Have fun watching my journey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Welcome to the pf blogosphere! :)

My current roommate just finished her coursework for her PhD, and has enough $ saved that she can live for 18months jobless while she's ABD. She still works part-time so that she's not as tight on $, and so she doesn't have to worry about that on top of worrying about her dissertation, but I think starting now will give you a great headstart on saving and let you do something similar.

Look forward to hearing more of your journey!

VixenOnABudget said...

Thank you so much!

Kris said...

Hi there, Vixen! Neat blog - and way to go with working for your PhD. I'll be reading!