Monday, February 4, 2008

How are your resolutions going?

Oddly enough, a professor asked my class last week how many of us had made resolutions for the new year. Only two other students raised their hands! I was blown away by this. Not to mention dismayed. Does that mean that young people my age have no goals in their life? In light of this, let's take a look at how my goals are going.

Create, tweak and come up with a functioning budget: I came up with a budget that I think will work for me. I'm actually going to post a tweak to it. Last, time will tell if it is functioning. I have full confidences in Version 1.0, but I'm sure there will a couple adjustments. Grade: A (so far)

Keep all receipts: I have about 90% of my receipts from last month. I'm really, really, really, really trying on this one. Grade: A-

Have two thousand invested in a high-interest savings account: Erm. Um. Yeah. Not good on that one, but in the budget I'm using for this month, I'll be contibuting 150 into it. Grade: F

Credit Cards Paid Off: I'm one-third of the way there and planning on paying 300 off this month. Debts will be paid off within four months. Grade: B

Invest 500 into wardrobe: I actually spent fifty dollars on clothes last month and got great deals. I purchased two pairs of pants, two tops and a sweater. Another fifty will go towards clothes this month. Grade: A

Develop dietary and exercise plan that fits my schedule: I've been kicking ass and taking names! Heh. I've been going to the gym in ridiculous amounts. We're talking four to five days a week. Investing in a gym membership was one of the best things I've done for my health. My diet has also vastly improved although working in a restaurant has so many pitfalls. Grade: Exercising is an A and Diet is a B


5 comments:

Julie the Graduate said...

I used to make New Year's Resolutions, but then I realized that January 1st isn't a very significant date to me. I'd rather make resolutions at a time that means something - starting work, a birthday or just whenever I feel like it. I do like the idea of New Year's resolutions, but they just don't work for me.

Anonymous said...

Great blog and great resolutions. I should do better about setting more concrete financial goals like you do. I seem to just focus on "mitigate my debt" and "spend as little as possible." I think I do a good job, but I'm sure I can get even better results if I had more specific goals like you.

Thanks for sharing your site on FLS. I'll be subscribing. I'm looking forward to reading your posts!

Alison said...

great job for sticking to ur goals so far...you've made it longer than most people!

SavingDiva said...

I'm glad to hear that your resolutions are going so well! :)

VixenOnABudget said...

Thanks Alison and SavingDiva for the encouragement!

Brett, what is FLS? Erm? Having specific goals seems to always work much better for me than vaguely saying I'm going to spend less.

Julie, I totally understand where you are coming from. I tend to make other goals as well when it's my birthday, etc. The nice thing about a new year is the feeling of starting fresh.